Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

SEKI Stint 1: 12 July to 21 July 2011 : Returning

Photos 

At the end of the first stint three members of our group (the Musician, Punster, and El Freezin) decided to take a different way back to the trailhead, while my boss and I hiked out the same way – kindof.  My boss had never taken the basin way out (follow the basin down until it meets with the trail) and so we took that way, passing all the lakes of the basin and some beautiful waterfalls, and cliffs, along the way.  We did 14 miles the first day, and 8 the second, doing in 1.5 days on the way back what had taken 2.5 to do going up.  Along the way we came across another alligator lizard and a garter snake and were warned of, but never saw, a bear in the campground.  My boss’s family met him at the trailhead, and my coworkers were already at the car, so we split ways from my boss, and my coworkers and I drove back to the SEKI headquarters. 

I am still a little stunned that I have this job for the next 2.5 months.  The scenery is gorgeous, the work is awesome, and the people are lots of fun.  The hikes out of the backcountry to resupply fresh produce (if I so choose) are a little long, but they will only result in making me a stronger hiker, which I look forward to.  I think I am falling in love with the Sierras, which I had not anticipated doing, and look forward to my second stint, which begins next Tuesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment