Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Driving to Seqoia Kings National Parks


7/5/2011

Today I had to say goodbye to Kara and Sam and drive to Sequoia Kings National Parks.  These are two separate parks under one administration – national parks abbreviate using the first two letters of the name(s), so Sequoia Kings is “SEKI” – pronounced “see-key”.  The nearest town to SEKI is Three Rivers, which is very small (expensive grocery store prices).  I had been unable to get a hold of my new boss all day (mainly due to California’s no-cell-phone-while-driving rule), so I called Dad in Three Rivers and had him get into my email to get the directions.  Apparently my bosses have been really busy and were only just able to email out directions today.  It was a good excuse to call Dad since today was also his birthday!
My first view of SEKI
I found my way to the resource management building at SEKI (the Southern Sierra Research Center) and met my bosses and one of my fellow fish eradicators.  My boss directed us to the park housing, where we will be staying for a week until our first back-country outing next week.  Our house is a 3 bedroom (4 beds), 2 bathroom place with a kitchen, table, and 3 couches.  It is very clean, but does not come with any soap, toilet paper, towels, or kitchen dishes/pots/etc.  Five of my co-workers arrived today – the two that did not are the two that I will be working with during the next three months.  The house I am staying in is for girls only (there are 4 of us), and the two guys get another house.  My coworkers seem to all have more experience than I and also seem more athletic; I am hoping that I will not be too much of a slowpoke to pick up how to do things and to hike around.

Today is the first day I have felt homesick.
One of the things I miss the most from Arizona

No comments:

Post a Comment