Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

SEKI - First Day

7/6/2011

As I write this I am sitting in the outside patio area of a coffee shop/gift store in Three Rivers that happens to also have free WIFI.  The shop usually closes at 5:00pm - I got here at 6:00pm - but was still able to access the internet.  It is HOT here - 100F with 30-40% humidity.  Our place has a swamp cooler, so even inside is a little muggy.  Just right now while updating the blog, the coffee shop owner came out and gave me some ice water!  Makes me think nice thoughts about people from Three Rivers. 

About the heat - SEKI has a dress code where you have to wear long pants, close toed shoes and no sleeveless.  Pants can't be stained or have holes;  this dress code eliminates almost all the practical hot weather clothes I own, and so we all swelter through the day. 

The day was full of orientation and safety talks.  Things I will have to deal with here, that I never did at Saguaro are water crossings, avalanches, ice bridges, log bridges, lightning storms, hypothermia, and ticks.  Ick.  We attend a presentation by my boss about the fish eradication project (and the frogs!) and it really made me want to be part of the frog crew (which is all university based).  I really hope I see some yellow legged frogs this summer.

I didn't take any photos today, but will probably tomorrow.  Will hopefully make an internet trip again this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment