Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Fall 2012 Road Trips: Part 2 - The Oregon Coast and My Church

After leaving Grant's Pass, Dad and I drove over to the Oregon Coast and drove that up to Lincoln City.  Along the way we had clam chowder at Mo's (yum!!).  Then we found a place to go out to the beach, where we walked around, saw birds, ate blackberries, and sometimes avoided getting wet.  Before Lincoln City we stopped by a glassblower's shop and  watched a guy make a glass lampshade from a ball of glass - pretty cool stuff.  Then we visited the beach one more time before heading back inland. 

Arizonans like the ocean. Seriously. 

After the coast our next goal was to visit my church, Grace and Truth Ministries!  We were offered a place to stay with one of the deacons and his wife in their lovely home, which overlooks a small forested valley.  We then drove to the church, which is occupies the entire basement floor of a bank building in Salem.  I got to meet several congregation members, and was reacquainted with several of whom I hadn't met in several years - including the pastor!  It was amazing to attend a prayer meeting, then a Bible class, and then a potluck dinner with my right pastor-teacher and congregation.  Everyone was funny and friendly and welcoming - I would be okay, even with the crummy weather, to get a job in the Salem area to no longer be an internet congregation member.  The next day Dad and I had breakfast with the pastor, his daughter, and one of the congregation members at a fine restaurant called Taters before leaving for my grandparents' place on the other side of the state.  It was a fine beginning to our visit to Oregon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment