Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Fall 2012 Road Trips - Part 1


Has it really only been a week since I last posted?  It seems like so much has happened already since the Sequoia Kings job ended.  After leaving the park I spent the next few days with my friends in Marysville – a wonderful relaxing time with good friends, good food, and comfortable home (and a cat!).  These are friends from church who I had been writing all summer, and it was delightful to see them again and hang out.

One of the days we spontaneously decided to take a day trip to San Francisco and met up with another friend, Eric, who currently lives and works in San Fran.  We walked around Pier 39 – saw the sea lions, had some chocolate, had some ice cream, and went into an art gallery of Rodney Lough Jr. – it was an awesome day.

My sister flew into Sacramento, and after picking her up, we began the drive back to Tucson.  We drove to Flagstaff the first night (and stayed with a friend there), and visited the Grand Canyon for a few hours the next day before driving home.  It was Aimee’s first time to the Grand Canyon, which I can’t scoff at, because May was the first time I had been there!  We also saw elk on our drive out, which was cool – my first time seeing elk in AZ!

I had two days home before leaving town again.  Day 1 was spent sleeping in and never actually leaving my apartment.  My Siamese cat spent the whole day sleeping next to me while I did computer stuff, tv stuff, etc.  I think she forgave me for being gone!  Day 2 was spent doing errands – car emissions, bridesmaid dress fitting, etc. – before driving to my parents’ house to see them and my black cat.  Kimi (the black cat) did not seem to recognize me, but I did manage to get her to purr eventually.  I think it will take some time when I am finally home for good before she realizes that I am “her person” again. 

On Sunday Dad and I left for Oregon, by way of California (at my request).  On the first day we made it to Tehachapi.  Yesterday we made it to San Francisco to visit Eric again.  We made it to his place before he got off from work, so Dad and I walked to the beach (the ultimate draw for any Arizonan), and then down a Chinatown-like street, where the restaurants had cooked ducks, which the heads still attached, hanging in front of the windows, and where grocery stores sell 4 large avocados for $1, two cauliflower heads for $1, and the meat and fish section has a remarkable selection. 

Once Eric got off work, he showed us a bit of the town, taking us to the Haight Ashbury District for dinner and to the Ghirardelli store for dessert.  We then walked to see where Eric works (near Fisherman’s Wharf) before taking the bus back to his place – quite fun!  Today we briefly visited the Golden Gate Bridge before saying goodbye to Eric and parting ways.

Dad and I then drove to Marysville to see my friends there (again!), and then continued on to Grant’s Pass, Oregon, where we are tonight.  I think Dad is tired of the driving, but he enjoyed seeing San Francisco (Eric is an awesome tour guide) as well as seeing our friends in Marysville, so at least there is that! 

My camera is in the car – I will try and post photos tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment