Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Alta Peak 06/17/2012


This past Saturday I went into Visalia again with Sean and RJ to do the last of my (our) shopping for the upcoming Sixty Lakes mobilization.  We went to the farmer’s market again, then Target and WinCo and back home.  


Sunday Sean, RJ, and I went up the hill to the Giant Forest area (where the sequoias are!) to hike up to Alta Peak, which is a peak that you can see from the entrance to the park (behind Moro Rock, for those who have been to Sequoia National Park before).  The hike ended up being 15 miles long, starting at 7200 feet and ending at 11,204 – not too shabby!  Sean and RJ are fast hikers, and I kept up with them for the most part, though they were definitely faster in the steep parts and going downhill (they are both really tall).  This morning I was only slightly sore too – not too shabby!  Now I just have to repeat that feat when we go to Sixty Lakes (14-16 miles, over two 11,000ft passes), except I will be carrying a lot more weight this time. 

I currently have about 10-12 boxes of food in my house to feed me for ~80 days in the backcountry, as well as ~3-4 boxes of clothes, dishes, books, and other misc personal items.  This year we were never given a weight limit (there is a weight limit, we were just never told what it is), so I am hoping that all of my stuff will be able to be flown up to Sixty Lakes.  Tomorrow (Tuesday) we will being all our stuff up to the HeliBase to be weighed and stored, and the HeliTac Crew will tell us if we can take everything or if we need to take some things out.  This would mean that I would need to hike additional food up to the site over the next few months – which would be unfortunate, but not the end of the world. 

Tomorrow we will also drive over to the east side of the Sierra Nevadas, and Wednesday we will hike up to Sixty Lakes.  I absolutely intend on hiking to Sixty Lakes in one day this year, especially because I do not intend on hiking with a tent, and there is a tent stored at Sixty Lakes right now.  The weather forecast is for no rain for the next week, so I don’t think having a tent would really matter anyway, but my boss did not agree with my decision to not hike with a tent.  Personally, I just don’t want the extra weight.  The main thing that gets me down (cranky, upset, unhappy) with hiking is when I have too much weight on my back. 

The crew: 
·         My bosses: Danny and Isaac.  Two awesome bosses (I’ve been very lucky in this respect in the Park Service world; I’ve always had great bosses)
·         Sixty Lakes Basin: me and Christi
·         Center Basin and Kern: Sean and Rosa
·         Pinchot and Amphitheater: Emma and RJ (Mary the last month)

Danny is the backbone of the frog project, and seems to do a great job with finding funding for the project, which he has spearheaded for the past 10 years (I think it’s ten years…).  He has a quirky sense of humor and a really nice wife and a really cute daughter.

Isaac did his master’s thesis on salamanders, and always seems happy, so he’s pretty cool.  On top of this, he and his girlfriend have two cats that they let me cuddle – one of which is a Siamese, so that’s extra awesome. 

Christi is pretty cool, and I think we’ll get along well this summer.  In a way we seem like complete opposites sometimes, with her being more independent and free, and me being more ready to settle down.  She doesn’t watch TV or movies, and actually has an allergy to dairy, so those are different too, but I really only quote movies and TV shows with my sister, so that’s no big deal (and dairy doesn’t do well in the backcountry).  Personality wise, she is very upbeat and excited about seeing new things, especially in nature, so it will be fun to experience Sixty Lakes with her this year.

Sean is a returning frog crew member from last summer and is pretty fun and quick with the puns.  At times his puns take on a crude manner, but he is fun to hang out with laugh with.  He spends his winters at Antarctica at the South Pole, which is pretty cool, and is originally from New Hampshire, so he flies in and relies on the other frog crew members for his transportation needs. 

Rosa and Emma are twins.  Emma is a returning frog crew member (third season) and is very fun to hang out with.  She’s fun and easy going, especially when school gets out and she doesn’t have other responsibilities (moving, studying, etc) to deal with.  I don’t really know Rosa, but this week she has been pretty sick, with a tentative diagnosis of mono, so it looks like she will be missing at least the Sixty Lakes mobilization, and maybe more if she doesn’t recover. 

RJ seems pretty cool, but he is pretty quiet and reserved – seems like the type to observe and take everything, but I’ve only known him for a week now.  He goes running every morning and is a stellar hiker, so he’ll do fine on the frog crew. 

Anyway, I’m going to sign off for the next ten days – be back on the 29th or 30th of June, I believe.  By that time, I may have a PO Box for mail (!!!!) and more fun pictures and stories.  Hope everyone is doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment