Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Camp Life

Photos of Camp

So my mom commented that I show a lot of photos from camp, but none of camp. And then I realized that I talk a lot about what goes on in addition to work, but not what a normal day is like.  So here goes - this is for those people who might want more than two blog posts a month.  :)

6:00am - I wake up and put on an hour's worth of Bible class.  Sometimes I hit the snooze button, which always makes class go "late" and I have to eat breakfast a little faster.

7:00am (or 7:20, or 7:30) - Breakfast/morning ritual before work.

8:00-9:00am - we turn the radio on, whether or not work has started or not.  This is the only time we are guaranteed to have the radio on, and this is the time when our bosses can contact us.

We usually start work at 8:00am and work an 8-9 hour day, sometimes longer if we are mending a net and want to finish it before ending work.  The work week (our ten days) at a minimum, consists of cleaning and pulling out any fish from the nets in our 6 lakes (3 days) and electrofishing all our 8 reaches of streams at least once.  My goal for each work week is to do all this twice, which time-wise isn't possible, so we prioritize what lakes we want to target (have the nets cleaned more often) and which stretches of stream we want to shock more often.  Once a month we also do frog surveys of a bunch of lakes in the basin (2 days).

11:00 am - we turn the radio on again and listen to Wilderness Roundup, where the wilderness office calls each backcountry ranger on the radio, as well as any other employees who might need their location tracked through the week (ie, employees who don't stay in one location, like Sixty Lakes Basin, all summer).  This gives us a chance to know where our backcountry rangers are that day (the Rae Lakes and Charlotte Lake rangers) as well as give a feeling like we aren't the only ones out in the backcountry.  It's nice, to me, to hear familiar radio call numbers and voices on the radio, even if I probably won't meet most of the people on roundup.  Wilderness Roundup also gives the daily weather forecast and what the weather is supposed to be the next day.  If there is any percentage chance of rain that day or the next, it usually is a 100% guarantee of rain in Sixty Lakes. 

My sanctuary in camp is my tent, which has a box of books, a box of clothes, and a box of misc stuff in it (art supplies, binos, toilet paper, etc).  I have a small lantern in it (LED, not gas) and try to keep it tidy as much as possible. 

I think that might cover everything. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your pictures of camp. And the blow by blow of your day. I appreciated it. It's always fun to hear the details.

    ReplyDelete