Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Friday, July 6, 2012

Sick

It's funny sometimes how God works life. 

This past Monday I hiked into Sixty Lakes Basin - taking a whopping 9 hours to do what is usually a 7 hour hike.  Tuesday Christi and I actually had a good field day, checking the gill nets in three of our lakes.  Wednesday we started checking the nets in a forth lake, and by mid-day I was through - I was tired and exhausted mentally and physically from my cold and really had no desire or physical ability to work anymore - just hiking around the lake seemed like too much work, not to mention getting into a float tube for the rest of the day.  Christi and I discussed, and decided that we needed to hike back out to the front country for me to see a doctor about my "cold", which we both decided had likely turned into a sinus infection that was lingering due to living at a high elevation.

So Wednesday we hiked out - a grueling 7.5 hours, and made it to the trailhead by 8:30pm.  This meant, coincidentally, that we got to see fireworks as we drove away from the trailhead, which was pretty cool (I'd been a little bummed that I'd miss the 4th of July this year). 

Thursday I went to a doctor in Lone Pine and, long story short, the doctor there decided that I did have a sinus infection, but that it was viral, not bacterial, and thus could not be treated.  She told me to take some Sudafed, which would only make me feel a little better, not get rid of the infection, and basically to have a good life, goodbye.  I was not impressed.  So I am now in the front country until at least this coming Sunday, with the hopes that a longer stay in the front country will make me feel well enough to go back to work.  A half day or so has passed since my doctor's appointment and I am not feeling much better - a second opinion will be obtained if I am not better at all by Sunday.  Sigh.

So this isn't how I planned to spend my third pay-period, but here I am, on the East side of the Sierra Nevadas, waiting to get over a sinus infection in order to get back to work.  I wonder if this will be one of those things where I'll have to wait until I'm in heaven to find out what this all was for, if it was for any specific reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment