Boldly traveling to new places, doing new things, and finding frogs along the way.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Weekend 080611 to 080711




When I hiked out I called my coworker, Flannel, to see what she was up to.  She and her twin were in Bishop, and they directed me to a place where they had gone swimming/bathing.  It’s the first time I’ve bathed in a stream!  Pretty fun (but cold) actually.  I then met up with Flannel and her sister (who works in Mammoth and is as biology-nerdy as the rest of us) and we went and saw Cowboys and Aliens in the two-scene movie theater in Bishop.  It was a funny movie – good for classic entertainment value.  We then met up with the Guide (Flannel’s partner) who also hiked out today, and had some Mexican food (not as good as Tucson’s food).  While there, we met up with one of the trail crew guys, who happens to be the boyfriend of my new partner.  He was at the Rae Lakes cabin while I was there, and is a top-notch guy.  Hikes fast for long distances, knows how to fix pretty much anything (chainsaws, solar panels, cars, etc) climbs, rappels, and has a desire to buy land and farm a few acres.  Pretty cool.  He knows the east side really well, and showed us all to a place where we could camp for free near this water canal area. 

The next day we decided to hike around the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, where the oldest known trees in the world are found – over 4000 years old.  We took a 4.5 mile nature trail and admired the really neat old trees, which grow in the most fantastic formations and configurations.  Really quite cool.  Afterwards we went to a local bakery/sandwich place for lunch (delicious homemade bread and BLTs!).  There we met up with my new partner (no pseudonym yet) who is a really energetic, happy, cute girl with black curly hair.  I think it will be as awesome working with her as it was with the Musician.  We putzed around town until dinner time when we went to a really good Thai restaurant before going to another free camping area (thanks to my partner’s boyfriend). 

Today we have been hanging out in a coffee shop all morning, getting our personal business done.  My partner and her boyfriend went to go climbing.  The twins are going around town before Flannel has to drive her sister back to Mammoth.  The Guide and I may hang out in town – I need to do some shopping and laundry.  We plan to all meet up tonight at another camping spot (near some hot springs I believe!) and I hike back up tomorrow.  I am planning on staying in the mountains through the next weekend, so my next post will not be until the first few days of September.

No comments:

Post a Comment